Friday, August 5, 2016

A is for August

So, I've decided to blog through the alphabet, from A to Z. I did a bit of googling, and I know that there's an official challenge that goes off in April of each year. But they want you to blog each and every day ...... yeahhhhh, that may not happen. But whether or not I do it every day, or however often I choose to continue the alphabet posts, I thought it would be an interesting thing to do.

Besides, this A to Z thing is an old friend to me. A good while back, many years ago in fact, I started this mental game to pass the time when I was somewhere and was bored. I would simply go through the alphabet, with the requirement that I had to come up with a word for each letter. Sometimes I would have a category that I would go by, and a lot of the time it would be just random. I still use it sometimes to try to get to sleep; it's very helpful with that.

So,
A is for August.
I like August, at least now I do.
When I was but a youngling, back in my school days, I had a love/hate relationship with August. It was the traditional month when the Kentucky state fair took place, and me and my parents used to go a lot. But it was also when school started. I didn't particularly like school. It wasn't the teachers or the studying that I minded. It was the kids I was in school with, road the bus with. I was teased a lot, all the way from grade school until high school. I don't have a lot of good school memories. But I do have some good memories of the state fair.

Now, I'm 55, and many years out from my school days, and I like August. Because I hate July. Several years ago, I got overheated real bad, and now I just can't take the heat. During the hottest part of summer, I just hibernate inside under the air conditioning. Here in Kentucky, that's July.

But when we get to August, ..... ahhhhh, sweet August, it heralds the return to cooler weather and fall. Don't get me wrong, August is still quite warm; but I know that September will be cooler, and in October, the weather will be nice.

The seasons, in order of preference by me:

  1. Fall, because it is the beginning of cooler weather;
  2. Spring, because it comes after winter and brings with it so many spring flowers;
  3. Winter, because I can stand to get out in cold weather;
  4. Summer, because during the hot days, I have to hibernate inside; and by the end of summer I have a bit of cabin fever. 
So there you have it.
A is for August.
-- jd --

No comments:

Post a Comment