Sunday, April 21, 2013

Writers selling to writers

Today I'm going to use my blog to comment about something that ticks me off more and more all the time.  And that is writers selling to writers.  They do it a lot on facebook via events and posts in writer's groups.  Their reasoning:

  • writers are readers too,
  • writers will share their link,
  • maybe readers visit these writer's groups trying to find out what writers are up to.
  • ????
But my main question is - do they search for places to reach readers?

I think writer groups should be places for writers to gather and talk about writing, share questions and concerns they have, ask for feedback and advice.  But when I run across a writer's group that is just one promo post after another . . . 
  • check out my new book
  • check out my new cover
  • check out my new blog post (which doesn't discuss one thing helpful to writers)
  • see my free book event
  • check out my contest
  • etc. and etc. and etc.
I have dropped several writer groups that were like that.  I have a few favorites that I have kept, and I enjoy checking out the posts in; and even those sometimes become borderline in their enjoyability factor. 

Yes, I understand that self-published authors have to self-promote their work.  But, I don't think they use particularly good judgment in how they spend their promoting time.  I want to use myself as an example.

I have a bad back and take pain pills.  I don't sleep all that well, and average anywhere from 4-8 hours of sleep at a time.  Usually 6-7 hours.  I'm also menopausal, which greatly affects how I feel.  I also have IBS, which also affects how I feel.  

So my up and about time is limited.  My time to get things done is limited.  And I have become very choosy as to what I spend my time on.  I know that other authors also have limited time as well.  So here is my point to all writers -- Be choosy about what you spend your time on.  Make sure you get the greatest benefit you can out of the time you spend.  

I mean, if you have a new book out, spend your time contacting bloggers who do book reviews.  Spend time in areas where you reach readers, not other writers.  Yes, writers are readers too - but don't rely so much on other writers to help you promote your work.  They have their own list of stuff to do, and helping you promote your work usually isn't going to be high on their list.  

For any of those wondering, no I don't have a book out yet.  But I have been learning, and stockpiling information.  Gathering ideas and info on what to do and what to not do.  When I do have a book out, yes, I will post about it on my timeline; and on my pages.  I will do posts in my blogs about it.  But one thing I won't do is  to go around to all the writer groups posting a link for my new book that is out.

What are some things you can do?
  • promote on goodreads, readers go there;
  • find other similar sites to goodreads and make sure your book is on them;
  • seek out bloggers who do book reviews;
  • seek out readers groups on facebook and become active there;
  • seek out forums where readers can be found;
  • take advantage of any publicity opportunity you are offered such as author interviews;
  • do not repeatedly post in writer's groups, and then be disappointed in your sales;
  • seek out book marketing groups and watch for ideas that you can use.
The bottom lines of this post --

Don't flood writer groups with promo posts.

Be choosy with how you spend your book promoting time.

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments, exactly, Jacqueline. Will post this on my writers' FB page.

    Margaret Arvanitis.

    ReplyDelete