Friday, June 15, 2012

Hollywood has lost its magic

Let's begin this post with a link to another writer's blog post:

Crap TV – the fightback starts now. Right here, right now. Are you with me?

This post is by Stephen “Yolly” Yolland, and yes Stephen, I am with you.  You see, I haven't been on facebook in several days.  At the end of last week, I got my dvds of all 4 seasons of the tv series - Lois and Clark, the new adventures of Superman.  I made a marathon out of it and watched all 4 seasons from the first to the last.  When I finished the last episode, I fell into a deep funk.  The end of the series left tantalizing loose ends that would never be resolved.  If they had of made a season 5, it would have been great.  But what bummed me out the most is that now I had to go back to watching the regular mind numbing crap that fills the tv channels now.  Watching the Lois and Clark series made me realize how crappy the shows and movies are that Hollywood now cranks out.  It made me realize that Hollywood has lost it's magic.

Actors just don't bring the roles to life anymore.  The speak lines, but they don't bring the roles to life.  There is no magic in their tv shows and movies that carries you away.  The Lois and Clark show was great!  It had romance, action, great drama, and humor; all in one show, and most usually all in one episode.  And Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher just sizzled on screen together.  The had enough sex appeal between the both of them to fill the universe.  And they never got naked.  But they could sure steam up the screen with some great kissing scenes.  And the rest of the cast, well what can I say, they were all outstanding.  Their guest stars on that show reads like a who's who of Hollywood.

But that show was made in the mid to late 1990s, during what I have decided to call the Golden Age of tv shows and movies.  During the 20th century.  In the 21st century, I find very little to recommend as being outstanding.  But back in the 20th century, there is tons to recommend as outstanding.  It used to be that the prime time tv slot (7-10 pm), on the network channels, was filled with great dramas.  Now days you can't hardly beg, borrow, or steal a good weekly drama series.

The only recent movie that comes to my mind to recommend as an outstanding movie is Avatar.  That is an absolutely fabulous movie.  But otherwise, the offerings leave a lot to be desired.  As for weekly tv shows, the best 3 weekly tv shows that come to mind are all on Disney XD.  They are:  Lab Rats, Tron: Uprising, and Motorcity.  And 2 of those shows are animated.  But they are good shows.  Among the few good shows on tv.  Too much of the channels are taken up with reruns of series, or reality shows.  And the only thing Hollywood seems to know how to do best now days is to remake old shows and movies, and their remakes are usually pitiful facsimiles of the original programs.

And don't even get me started on the big screen movies they crank out.  They know how to mess stuff up so well.  And they crank out crap.  Most of the big screen movies cranked out today depend on big special effects, graphic sex scenes, or graphic violence or horror scenes to sell their movies.  They are JUNK!!!  Nothing but poorly made junk!  And they are an insult to the great movies that Hollywood has cranked out in the past.  I know, I watch a lot of movies.

I just wish Hollywood would regain it's magic once again.  I miss it.  I miss the great shows and movies that could suck you into their world for a while.  I miss it's imagination and spark.  I miss great movies and tv shows.  Watching those Lois and Clark shows reminded me of what great acting is all about.  Just too bad we don't see much great movie and tv show making any more.  And they can take all these STUPID reality shows and shove them down the garbage disposable.  
-- JD --

No comments:

Post a Comment