Wednesday, July 8, 2015

I miss the 1980s, part 1

For the first time in my life, I truly do miss another time period. I miss the 1980s. The world was a simpler, kinder place back then. The seeds planted in the 1960s had taken root and were flourishing. I miss the peace that existed in the world back then.

Computers were just beginning come into their own, and the internet was still in it's fetus stage. When I graduated business college in the mid 1980s, they were just beginning to teach desktop computers. I learned computers on a big IBM system 34.

People were nicer then. Television was much better then. Yeah, we have more channels, but there's not a lot on them sometimes. There's way too much reality t.v. today. I was much slimmer then, and in much better shape, both physically and financially.

It was at the tail end of the 1980s that I met my hubby. I took karate in the 80s, and got in probably what was the best shape of my whole life. I think the 80s were my golden decade, in a way. Life held such great promise back then.

With the 1990s, came a lot of changes, both for me and the world. That's where it all started. Some of the changes have been good, and some have been bad. There's not really much of anything about the 90s that I miss; it was not a good decade for me nor my hubby. The only redeeming thing about the 90s is that I married my husband and moved out of my parents' home, and finally began to truly discover myself. Instead of trying to fit into the mold that my mother constantly laid out for me.

Having been in a situation where I was told by someone else, who they thought I should be, how I should act, what I should do - I have sympathy for those in the same situation.

A bad thing that the 90s held for hubby and me was the beginning of a financial downslide that we still haven't recovered from yet.

It's getting late, and I'm getting tired. So I'll continue this another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment