Tuesday, November 12, 2013

NaNoWriMo - and why I don't do it

Yes, I am a writer.

No, I'm not doing National Novel Writing Month or NANOWRIMO.

First off, that abbreviation of it sounds like a really nasty disease or the name of an alien.

Second off, I don't believe in having a daily word goal.

Third off, I believe writing a book is like . . .

painting a great painting,
or creating a magnificent sculpture,

It's not something you squeeze into one month.

Yeah, lots of writers do it, but why?

Doing some research on it, and copied this from wikipedia:
"The goal of NaNoWriMo is to get people writing, no matter how bad the writing is, through the end of a first draft. The idea is that many people are scared to start writing because it won't be any good, and if there's a time to celebrate length, rather than quality, more people will write an entire first draft, which they can then proceed to edit if they wish."

So they're encouraging people to vomit out writing, regardless of quality?  I mean, that's what it says, there in black and white.

Don't know about you, but I have a real problem with that.

Being a writer is an integral part of who I am, like the color of my hair, or my personality.  If being a writer is inside you, then sooner or later you will write.  I don't care for the part where it says to write, no matter how bad.  Makes me wonder if this isn't where Indie authors get such a bad rap?  I mean, how many of these NaNoWriMo people who, when the month is over, will rush to publish their masterpiece without doing little to anything else to it; and then gripe and whine when it doesn't sell or gets bad reviews.

Writing a really great book is like making a fine wine, a great painting, or a beautiful sculpture,
-- It's not really something you squeeze into a month,
-- It takes the time it takes,
-- And it's a work of creation, not a race.

I'm sure there are many who will disagree with my post here, and that's their right.  But this is my blog, and I'm expressing my opinion.

During the 'vomit out a novel' months, here's what I recommend:
Write like you normally do, and write something of quality.  Don't do daily word counts, and don't try to produce a novel in a month.  Let the process take the time it needs, and nurture it.

A great tree doesn't sprout up in a month, from a seedling to a giant redwood.  So it is with a great novel.  It's not going to spring up from nothing to a great book in one month.

Do your writing a favor, and don't do NaNoWriMo.
Be a writer, not a racehorse.
Writing is a process of creation, not a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment